- Received May 12, 2016.
- Revision received February 3, 2017.
- Accepted February 8, 2017.
- Published online February 22, 2017.
- Merja H. Voutilainen1,2,
- Francesca De Lorenzo2,*,
- Polina Stepanova2,*,
- Susanne Bäck1,
- Li-Ying Yu2,
- Päivi Lindholm2,
- Eeva Pörsti1,
- Mart Saarma2,
- Pekka T. Männistö1 and
- Raimo K. Tuominen1
- 1Division of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, FIN-00014 Helsinki, Finland
- 2Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, FIN-00014 Helsinki, Finland
- Correspondence should be addressed to Dr. Merja H. Voutilainen, PhD, Institute of Biotechnology, P.O. Box 56, University of Helsinki, FI-00014 Helsinki, Finland. E-mail: .
Author contributions: M.H.V., S.B., M.S., P.T.M., and R.K.T. designed research; M.H.V., F.D.L., P.S., S.B., L.Y., P.L., and E.P. performed research; M.H.V., F.D.L., P.S., S.B., L.Y., P.L., and E.P. analyzed data; M.H.V., M.S., P.T.M., and R.K.T. wrote the paper.
↵* F.D.L. and P.S. contributed equally to this work.
MHV, PL, MS and RKT are inventors of the CDNF-patent, which is owned by Herantis Pharma Plc. MS is a shareholder of Herantis Pharma Plc.
The study was supported by grants from the Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research, Eu-ERA-NET, Sigrid Jusélius Foundation, and the Academy of Finland. M.H.V. was supported by grants from the Finnish Cultural Foundation and Finnish Parkinson Foundation.
Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation
Michael J. Fox Foundation
Sigrid Juselius Foundation
Academy of Finland
Finnis Cultural Foundation
Finnish Parkinson Foundation