- Received in June 18, 2016.
- Accepted in November 8, 2016.
- Published print in November 17, 2016.
- 1Doctoral Program in Neurobiology and Behavior
- 2Medical Scientist Training Program
- 3Department of Pathology and Cell Biology
- 4Department of Neuroscience, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032
- Correspondence should be addressed to either of the following: Carol Mason, Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. 14-509 P&S Bldg., 630 W. 168th St., New York, NY 10032. E-mail: ; or Qing Wang, UCLA Stein Eye Institute, 100 Stein Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095. E-mail: .
Author contributions: QW designed experiments, collected and analyzed data, and wrote the paper; FM collected data for the Foxd1 KO experiments and contributed to writing; IC assisted with the in situ expression studies; CM designed research and wrote the paper with QW.
The authors declare no competing financial interests.
Supported by NIH grants R01 EY012736 and EY015290 (CM) and T32 GM07367 and EY013933 (QW) and Fight for Sight (FM).