Disorders of the Nervous System
- review article | Review, Disorders of the Nervous System The Transcription Repressor REST in Adult Neurons: Physiology, Pathology, and Diseases
Published July 1, 2015
- research article | Negative Results, Disorders of the Nervous System Effects of Exercise on Progranulin Levels and Gliosis in Progranulin-Insufficient Mice
Published June 22, 2015
- research article | New Research, Disorders of the Nervous System Acute Traumatic Brain Injury Does Not Exacerbate Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in the SOD1G93A Rat Model
Published June 22, 2015
- research article | Theory/New Concepts, Disorders of the Nervous System Network Mechanisms Generating Abnormal and Normal Hippocampal High-Frequency Oscillations: A Computational Analysis
Published June 11, 2015
- research article | Theory/New Concepts, Disorders of the Nervous System Genetic Variations in the Serotonergic System Mediate a Combined, Weakened Response to SSRI Treatment: A Proposed Model
Approximately forty percent of individuals that seek pharmacological treatment for depression do not initially respond to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants. Past research has attempted to determine if specific mutations in genes associated with the serotonergic system can help to predict response to antidepressant treatment; however, results have been inconclusive.
Published May 26, 2015
- research article | New Research, Disorders of the Nervous System Astrogliosis Induced by Brain Injury Is Regulated by Sema4B Phosphorylation
Astrocyte activation plays a critical role in response to CNS trauma. Following CNS injury, astrogliosis has the beneficial effect of restricting tissue damage, but it also limits neuronal regeneration.
Published May 15, 2015
- research article | New Research, Disorders of the Nervous System Brain Dynamics of Aging: Multiscale Variability of EEG Signals at Rest and during an Auditory Oddball Task
Recently, the study of brain signal fluctuations is widely put forward as a promising entry point to characterize brain dynamics in health and disease. Although interesting results have been reported regarding how variability of brain activations can serve as an indicator of performance and adaptability in elderly, many uncertainties and controversies remain with regard to the comparability, reproducibility, and generality of the described findings, as well as the ensuing interpretations.
Published May 11, 2015
- research article | New Research, Disorders of the Nervous System LRP1 Downregulates the Alzheimer’s β-Secretase BACE1 by Modulating Its Intraneuronal Trafficking
The β-secretase called BACE1 is a membrane-associated protease that initiates the generation of amyloid β-protein, a key event in Alzheimer’s disease. However, the mechanism of inraneuronal regulation of BACE1 is poorly understood.
Published April 10, 2015
- research article | Negative Results, Disorders of the Nervous System Hypoxia Inducible Factor-1α in Astrocytes and/or Myeloid Cells Is Not Required for the Development of Autoimmune Demyelinating Disease
Despite numerous reports indicating HIF-1α expression in glia, neurons, and inflammatory cells in the CNS of MS patients, the cell-specific contribution of HIF-1α to disease pathogenesis remains unclear. Here we show that although HIF-1α is dramatically upregulated in astrocytes and myeloid cells in EAE, cell-specific depletion of HIF-1α in these two cell types surprisingly does not affect the development of neuroinflammatory disease.
Published March 30, 2015
- research article | New Research, Disorders of the Nervous System Disruption of Src Is Associated with Phenotypes Related to Williams-Beuren Syndrome and Altered Cellular Localization of TFII-I
Src tyrosine kinase phosphorylates the general transcription factor protein TFII-I, which is deleted in the neurodevelopmental disorder Williams-Beuren syndrome (WBS). We identified phenotypes such as increased sociability, visuospatial deficits, craniofacial abnormalities, and hyperactivity that overlap with symptoms of WBS in a mouse with disruption of Src.
Published March 6, 2015